Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Requests

I have a couple of requests to make.

Families, loved ones and friends of the victims are suffering, and some of them are taking that out on me. If you come across something like this out there, don't attack these people. They don't know me or my family, or what we're going through. They are simply reacting to this nightmare. Offer condolence if you can, but otherwise let it go.

You all offered the understanding and support that I needed so desperately today, and I'm so grateful. A few others in the writing community have not been so kind, and I'm sure there will be more of that. What these people say about me may seem vicious, but ultimately it's meaningless. To them I'm not a person, but an opportunity. Don't defend me to them. If anything, pray as I do that they never experience this kind of pain.

I'll be offline for a couple of days. We need to get through the shock of it. We need to grieve, and we need to prepare for what is ahead of us. Keep us in your thoughts.

Update: The media has been directing people to my old web site so they can post on the guestbook. Threats against me and my family posted there today have now forced me to shut it down. I may have to do the same with Paperback Writer, Star Lines and my new web site, so if there is something you'd like to copy off these sites, you might want to get it now.

I apologize. I thought I could remain somewhat accessible during this, but apparently that's not going to be possible.